cannot set up Kallithea in Ubuntu 16.04

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 13 12:41:57 UTC 2020

On 8/13/20 1:47 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>     > On 8/13/20 10:39 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>

>     > We can improve the documentation to say something like
>

>     > but I don't know if we should go into details on how to do it on each OS.
>
>     > Googling for "ubuntu /usr/bin/env: ‘node’: No such file or directory"
>     > gives some helpful answers - including https://askubuntu.com/a/1053068
>

>     > This stacktrace shows Python catching that license-checker failed. Was
>     > there any output before this, after "Generating LICENSES.txt"?
>
>     > I guess this perhaps could be caused by partial installation from
>     > previous attempts. Try to delete kallithea/front-end/node_modules/ and
>     > try again.
>
> Contrary to my previous email, pip installed kallithea system wide in
> /usr/local

Oh. That means it must have been installed as root. I guess we should
clarify documentation to say something like:

> Kallithea should not be installed or run as root. It is generally
> recommended
> to create a ``kallithea`` user (and perhaps a corresponding group). The
> hosted repositories will live in the file system as the user Kallithea is
> running as. For some setups, it might be most convenient to use the
> web server
> user, but web servers generally allow web applications to run as other
> users.

pip and npm running as root might leave bits and pieces all over the
system, mixed up with package manager files.

> So I deleted this directory and run the command again
>
> This is the error
> ,----
> |
> | Generating LICENSES.txt
> | /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kallithea/front-end/node_modules/npm-normalize-package-bin/index.js:3
> | const {join, basename} = require('path')
> |       ^
> |
> | SyntaxError: Unexpected token {

A npm-normalize-package-bin in that place looks like your system npm
somehow was used to install another npm inside node_modules. And
apparently your 'node' uses an old javascript version that doesn't
support this installed npm.

-

It seems like your installation somehow got off track and you thus got
on a bumpy road. At this point I would suggest reinstalling Ubuntu (to
get an easy cleanup after the things done as root) and start over,
keeping records of which choices and commands you use - that will make
it easier to help if you should encounter problems again.