cannot set up Kallithea in Ubuntu 16.04

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Thu Aug 13 15:42:13 UTC 2020

   > On 8/13/20 1:47 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

   > Oh. That means it must have been installed as root. I guess we should
   > clarify documentation to say something like:

   > pip and npm running as root might leave bits and pieces all over the
   > system, mixed up with package manager files.

   > A npm-normalize-package-bin in that place looks like your system npm
   > somehow was used to install another npm inside node_modules. And
   > apparently your 'node' uses an old javascript version that doesn't
   > support this installed npm.

   > -

   > It seems like your installation somehow got off track and you thus got
   > on a bumpy road. At this point I would suggest reinstalling Ubuntu (to
   > get an easy cleanup after the things done as root) and start over,
   > keeping records of which choices and commands you use - that will make
   > it easier to help if you should encounter problems again.

Right now I cannot reinstall (or better said upgrade to 20.04) my Ubuntu
since I cannot backup my home directory

My last attempt to sort out this mess.

sudo -H pip uninstall kallisthea

And off it is from /usr/local/lib/python2.7
pip install --user kallithea

Gives me now

Using cached Kallithea-0.6.1.tar.gz (4.3 MB)
,----

|     ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
|      command: /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize;
|      sys.argv[0] = '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
|      __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
|      '"'"'open'"'"',
|      open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
|      '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__,
|      '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-zO3AGs
|          cwd: /tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/
|     Complete output (5 lines):
|     Traceback (most recent call last):
|       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
|       File "/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
|         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
|     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
| ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
`----

And Ubuntu 16.04 comes with python 3.5 so end of game, maybe I could try
to install it from source

I have a question about the documentation but I will open a new thread.

thanks

Uwe