cannot set up Kallithea in Ubuntu 16.04

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 13 16:16:25 UTC 2020

On 8/13/20 5:42 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>     > It seems like your installation somehow got off track and you thus got
>     > on a bumpy road. At this point I would suggest reinstalling Ubuntu (to
>     > get an easy cleanup after the things done as root) and start over,
>     > keeping records of which choices and commands you use - that will make
>     > it easier to help if you should encounter problems again.
>
> Right now I cannot reinstall (or better said upgrade to 20.04) my Ubuntu
> since I cannot backup my home directory

That sounds like other and severe problems. It would perhaps be better
to fix that first.

> My last attempt to sort out this mess.
>
> sudo -H pip uninstall kallisthea
>
> And off it is from /usr/local/lib/python2.7
> pip install --user kallithea
>
> Gives me now
>
> Using cached Kallithea-0.6.1.tar.gz (4.3 MB)
> ,----
> |
> |     ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
> |      command: /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize;
> |      sys.argv[0] = '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
> |      __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
> |      '"'"'open'"'"',
> |      open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
> |      '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__,
> |      '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-zO3AGs
> |          cwd: /tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/
> |     Complete output (5 lines):
> |     Traceback (most recent call last):
> |       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> |       File "/tmp/pip-install-MIEe7A/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
> |         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
> |     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
> |     ----------------------------------------
> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
> `----
>

> And Ubuntu 16.04 comes with python 3.5 so end of game, maybe I could try
> to install it from source

We don't know how you installed Kallithea before, but you must have been
using a py3 pip. Weird it doesn't pick that one up now. Something weird
is going on.

It seems like you ended up using the last "Installing a released version
without virtualenv" options on
https://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation.html . I had
forgotten we mention these in the documentation. That doesn't get much
testing. A Kallithea specific virtualenv has the advantage of keeping
everything installed for Kallithea in one place, separate from things
that might be installed for other reasons.