how to install kallithea from source

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 13 19:10:26 UTC 2020

On 8/13/20 8:53 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> I suggest creating /srv/kallithea as root, and chown it to the
>> kallithea user. (I am trying to tweak the documentation based on your
>> input and already had some draft changes to this.)
> Good, at least something useful will come out from my intents. ;-)
>

> When you say kallithea user, do you mean me, or do you mean that I shall
> create a user (and group) named kallithea?

Yes, I recommend running Kallithea as a separate user to control how it
can interact with other system users.

You *could* run Kallithea as you (especially if evaluating or
developing), but for production it should be a separate user.

>> Other than creating the installation directory (which could be
>> elsewhere), there should not be any global or .local changes. Just
>> active the virtualenv first (or run binaries in the virtualenv's bin
>> directory).
>
> Well I tried to do this, but it failed again.
>
> Here is what I did, using bash
>
>   sudo mkdir /srv/kallithea
>   sudo chown -R oub /srv/kallithea
>   sudo chgrp -R oub /srv/kallithea
>   cd $HOME/src/kallithea
> python3 -m venv /srv/kallithea/venv
> . /srv/kallithea/venv/bin/activate
> pip install --upgrade pip setuptools
> pip install --upgrade kallithea
>
> ,----
> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
> |
> |      command: /srv/kallithea/venv/bin/python3 -c 'import sys,
> |      setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] =
> |      '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
> |      __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
> |      '"'"'open'"'"',
> |      open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
> |      '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__,
> |      '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base
> |      /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-3uwu0aad
> |
> |          cwd: /tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/
> |     Complete output (5 lines):
> |     Traceback (most recent call last):
> |       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> |       File "/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
> |         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
> |     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
> |     ----------------------------------------
> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
> `----

DOH. Now i notice what I think Thomas mentioned earlier. Kallithea does
indeed require Python 3.6 or later. And it seems like your system is
using 3.5?

Which Ubuntu version are you using now? I guess they have later Python
versions available as standard packages, properly namespaced to avoid
conflicts. If creating the virtualenv with for example python3.8, your
/srv/kallithea/venv/bin/python3 and everything in the venv will use that
too.