how to install kallithea from source

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Thu Aug 13 19:15:23 UTC 2020

>>> "MK" == Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> writes:

   > On 8/13/20 8:53 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >>> I suggest creating /srv/kallithea as root, and chown it to the
   >>> kallithea user. (I am trying to tweak the documentation based on your
   >>> input and already had some draft changes to this.)
   >> Good, at least something useful will come out from my intents. ;-)
   >>

   >> When you say kallithea user, do you mean me, or do you mean that I shall
   >> create a user (and group) named kallithea?

   > Yes, I recommend running Kallithea as a separate user to control how
   > it can interact with other system users.

   > You *could* run Kallithea as you (especially if evaluating or
   > developing), but for production it should be a separate user.

   >>> Other than creating the installation directory (which could be
   >>> elsewhere), there should not be any global or .local changes. Just
   >>> active the virtualenv first (or run binaries in the virtualenv's bin
   >>> directory).
   >>
   >> Well I tried to do this, but it failed again.
   >>
   >> Here is what I did, using bash
   >>
   >> sudo mkdir /srv/kallithea
   >> sudo chown -R oub /srv/kallithea
   >> sudo chgrp -R oub /srv/kallithea
   >> cd $HOME/src/kallithea
   >> python3 -m venv /srv/kallithea/venv
   >> . /srv/kallithea/venv/bin/activate
   >> pip install --upgrade pip setuptools
   >> pip install --upgrade kallithea
   >>
   >> ,----
   >> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
   >> |
   >> |      command: /srv/kallithea/venv/bin/python3 -c 'import sys,
   >> |      setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] =
   >> |      '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';
   >> |      __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize,
   >> |      '"'"'open'"'"',
   >> |      open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"',
   >> |      '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__,
   >> |      '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base
   >> |      /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-3uwu0aad
   >> |
   >> |          cwd: /tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/
   >> |     Complete output (5 lines):
   >> |     Traceback (most recent call last):
   >> |       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
   >> |       File "/tmp/pip-install-ydr3jegw/kallithea/setup.py", line 13, in <module>
   >> |         raise Exception('Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later')
   >> |     Exception: Kallithea requires Python 3.6 or later
   >> |     ----------------------------------------
   >> | ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.
   >> `----

   > DOH. Now i notice what I think Thomas mentioned earlier. Kallithea
   > does indeed require Python 3.6 or later. And it seems like your system
   > is using 3.5?

Yes, I am still on Ubuntu 16.04

   > Which Ubuntu version are you using now? I guess they have later Python
   > versions available as standard packages, properly namespaced to avoid
   > conflicts. If creating the virtualenv with for example python3.8, your
   > /srv/kallithea/venv/bin/python3 and everything in the venv will use
   > that too.

Hm, that would be a possibility.

But: I also cloned the whole beast, therefore:

which version (changeset) requires only 3.5)??

For a simple test I think that should be sufficient, buy only if you
don't tell me that such a kallithea version lacks a lot of important
features.

Uwe