[success] (was: [using pip with 0.5.2])

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Sat Aug 15 12:00:32 UTC 2020

   > On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 12:13 Uwe Brauer <oub at mat.ucm.es> wrote:

   > Yes, comment out the part that you pasted.

   > You don't need to compile python. It is an interpreted language. Python
   > itself will perform some form of compilation in the background, but it is
   > not a real compilation like e.g. C. For example, that compilation will find
   > syntax errors but not incorrect parameter passing.
   > The py_compile step you showed does the same and is a quick way to check
   > your syntax but not in any way mandatory.

Ok, so this is then different from (emacs) lisp.
There, if you have two files, el and elc, and you change something in
the el file but don't byte compile, then emacs will take old elc file.

Be it as it may, I succeeded finally, and even created my first
repository. I did start to add other users. I will play around and most
likely try to convince our system administrator to install it. A couple
of questions.

    1. I understand kallithea comes with some sort of notifying utility?
       That would be sort of important, I usually use notify myself but
       other users might not.

    2. Can the user configure his/hers repository to be non publishing?
       In bitbucket you could, in helix you can't for example.

    3. Would it be useful to write something up: how to install
       kallithea for Ubuntu 16.04, for example, if you want I could give
       it a try if you tell me in which format, markdown restructured
       text etc etc

Thanks for all your patience and help.

Uwe