[success]

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 20 15:18:44 UTC 2020

On 8/15/20 2:00 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>      1. I understand kallithea comes with some sort of notifying utility?
>         That would be sort of important, I usually use notify myself but
>         other users might not.

Yes, users will be notified by mail when they are added to PRs, and also
when comments are added to PRs they are involved with or on changesets
they created.

>      2. Can the user configure his/hers repository to be non publishing?
>         In bitbucket you could, in helix you can't for example.

It can currently only be done by the sysadmin, by adding "[phases]"
"publish = False" to .hg/hgrc of the repo.

Needless to say, the functionality (and UI) for letting the user control
it could be added ...

>      3. Would it be useful to write something up: how to install
>         kallithea for Ubuntu 16.04, for example, if you want I could give
>         it a try if you tell me in which format, markdown restructured
>         text etc etc

I don't know.

It seems like most of your problems were quite unique. In a not-so-sweet
spot between not following the documentation (or not reading our unclear
documentation as we intended), and also needing more detailed
documentation due to less python or sysadmin background and insufficient
research of new areas and problems. Our documentation must be generic in
order to stay focused and usable for all users, so I don't know if it is
feasible to try to cover everything that would have helped.

Summarizing some of the problems (and hinting to root causes even though
it might seem like "blaming"): Using a 4 years old LTS (with two more
recent LTS releases), trying to use a python3 version that explicitly
isn't supported, then facing problems with python 3 migration and node
packaging in that particular distro and version - already fixed in later
distro versions. Using a less common shell without knowing how that
shell is "special". Trying to install as root, which generally is risky
and something to avoid. Not following the advises but making other
assumptions - like trying to uninstall the system python, not using
virtualenv, then not using virtualenv as recommended, and assumptions of
similarity with lisp. And then the dead end of trying python 2.

But it would be interesting to see your take on the root causes and how
they can be mitigated. Perhaps try to repeat the installation on another
system.

Thanks for helping making the software better.