[success]

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Fri Aug 21 07:12:58 UTC 2020

>>> "MK" == Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> writes:

> On 8/15/20 2:00 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
Hi Mads

> Summarizing some of the problems (and hinting to root causes even
> though it might seem like "blaming"): Using a 4 years old LTS (with
> two more recent LTS releases), trying to use a python3 version that
> explicitly isn't supported, then facing problems with python 3
> migration and node packaging in that particular distro and version -
> already fixed in later distro versions. Using a less common shell
> without knowing how that shell is "special". Trying to install as
> root, which generally is risky and something to avoid. Not following
> the advises but making other assumptions - like trying to uninstall
> the system python, not using virtualenv, then not using virtualenv as
> recommended, and assumptions of similarity with lisp. And then the
> dead end of trying python 2.

A couple of  comments.

    1. I am now rather acquainted with mercurial, without being an
       expert (but have never written any extension), but I have not
       much an idea of python, I confess. I thought kallithea is focused
       for mercurial users not so much for python hackers.

    2. Maybe tcsh is not that popular today, but I think if you write
       (bash) it would be helpful

    3. The root installation. I am only acquainted with

       a. pip install --user whateveritis

       b. Or sudo (-H) pip install  whateveritis

       c. In your documentation you wrote
          pip install  whateveritis
          since there was not explicit --user
          I added root

So I think some small changes in the existing documentation might be
helpful and prevent users (not sure how many 16.04 users are still
there) to run into the same sort of problems.

And some last words

    1. I think kallithea is quite useful and suited for the my future
       workflow: install it on a university server so that my colleagues
       and I can still use mercurial, while heptapod is too complicated
       for that purpose. So thank you very much for providing it.

    2. I found the mailing list very helpful and your patience, and
       quick answers especially, again thank you.

Best regards

Uwe