Authorization required for cloning Kallithea with Mercurial >= 6.5.0

Branko Majic branko at majic.rs
Tue Jul 23 11:17:30 UTC 2024

Hello,

Attempting to clone the official Kallithea repository (at
https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea) anonymously with newer
versions of Mercurial seems to fail, and prompts user for credentials:

----%----
(hgtest) branko at che:~/projects/hgtest$ hg version
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 6.5.3)
(see https://mercurial-scm.org for more information)

Copyright (C) 2005-2023 Olivia Mackall and others

Enabled extensions:

  histedit  internal
  strip     internal
(hgtest) branko at che:~/projects/hgtest$ hg clone https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea
destination directory: kallithea
http authorization required for https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/kallithea
realm: Kallithea authentication
user:
----%----

Based on the realm part - I assume this could be something related to
Kerberos?

From what I can tell, this happens only with "newer" versions of
Mercurial - starting with version 6.5.0. I've tested with 6.4.5 and did not get
prompted for credentials. This testing was all done from within dedicated
Python virtual environment.

Since I am not experiencing the same issue with my test installation of
Kallithea, I assume this is related to how the official Kallithea
instance has been configured. Maybe if it detects that client can do
Kerberos-based authentication it insists on using it?

Best regards,
Branko

P.S.
Of course, could be it's not Kerberos at all, just me jumping to
conclusions. :)

--
Branko Majic
XMPP: branko at majic.rs
Please use only Free formats when sending attachments to me.

Бранко Мајић
XMPP: branko at majic.rs
Молим вас да додатке шаљете искључиво у слободним форматима.