logistics - how to handle sale, inventory, etc. (was Re: starting the discussion: merchandising at Conservancy)

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Thu Feb 7 15:06:06 EST 2013

On 02/07/2013 02:14 PM, Amy Terlaga wrote:
> Hi Tony--
>
> I was actually thinking of having our members pre-order their stuff before
> the conference so they would just have to pick it up at the conference.
> That way, we'd have exactly the right quantity and it would remove the
> guesswork.  Of course, it would require our getting the word out well so
> that we maximized sales and didn't have to turn away too many unhappy people
> at the conference who wanted to buy one on the spot.  Or we could have some
> extras for those previously clueless.
>
> Is this a bad idea?

If that's something you want to do, that could definitely work.  Of
course, you'd need to decide fairly quickly on a shirt design (since
you'd presumably need to show people what they're getting before they
order), and if you only take pre-orders, you should be prepared to chase
a few flakes for their money and/or write their money off.  But, that's
still less exposure than printing a run of tees with no sense of the
demand.

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
+1-212-461-3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org