starting the discussion: merchandising at Conservancy

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:13:47 EST 2013

Hi Amy, Tony

With t-shirts, the key question (beyond basic t-shirt quality, which can be
problematic) is the printing process. Here are a couple of links I have
found useful when researching the topic:

http://www.alt-team.com/choosing-a-printing-technique-for-custom-t-shirt-printing-business.html
http://www.staplespromotionalproducts.com/Landing.aspx?name=ArtworkRequirements

One advantage of working with Spreadshirt / CafePress / Printfection /
VistaPrint / Zazzle / PrintMojo / etc. is, they offer different kinds of
merchandise beyond t-shirts and handle order fulfillment and individual
shipping, in some cases worldwide. This can be through a branded online
shop or not. I can't vouch for quality though, these services market ease
of use and speed of delivery - research/benchmarking needs to be done.

But before that, it might be interesting to enumerate the promo needs for
each SFC project (handouts? in-person/online sales to recover costs?) and
art objectives (simple logos? lots of variants? one side printing for tees
or double-sided for ex?).

In the case of Sugar Labs, we would like to recover costs and ideally offer
say 8 colors of tees with 6 choices of logo colors, maybe hoodies too;
mugs, and logo-embroidered caps and laptop bags.

thanks

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator