shared API for double-entry accounting, treating it as a 'math' library.

Tim Schofield tim.schofield1960 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 06:11:19 EST 2014

I am probably being dumb here, but in the context of an accounting system
what do you mean by a standard file format? Are we talking about reports?
In something like an office application an open standard document format is
obvious and critical. For an accounting system?

I read this http://npoacct.sfconservancy.org/UseCases/StorageAPI/ and it
seems somewhat naive from an accounting POV. It has a simplistic view of
what constitutes an accounting transaction (the bulk of transactions on
accounting systems will be neither payments or receipts) and also from the
need for a standard API for double entry bookkeeping. I am not sure who
would use such a thing. I can't imagine a use case where you would want the
front end of one system to talk to the back end of another, or am I missing
something?

Thanks
Tim

Course View Towers,