Underfunding or why I am not interested

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 02:58:34 EST 2014

I think some of these AGPL concerns are perfectly valid.

Keep in mind, however, it is also true that there are lots of people
out there who aren't license wonks or hardcore software freedom
proponents or opponents. For the average people out there, they might
be interested in contributing and using and whatever for reasons that
have nothing to do with the license. They also might not bother to free
their work or might decide to go proprietary not because they really
think about it, but just because it seems reasonable to them. When they
see that AGPL tells them they must keep the license and share their
source, they do, and they don't really mind. They might not have had
strong feelings either way.

So the use of license can have a major impact on the behaviour of
regular folks who don't care to make a fuss about it and don't care to
hold a grudge either. They are just happy to work with the terms that
seem to be the social norm. If the norm says, "go ahead and make your
version proprietary if that's in your interest" that has a different
effect from a social norm of "hey, we're all in this to share and it's
your duty to respect the freedom downstream after your changes."

I support AGPL as much for those reasons as for any pedantic legal
reasons. In other words, I care more about encouraging that social norm
than about the licensing details. These issues definitely interact
though.

Cheers,
Aaron