expense tracking apps

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Aug 26 16:19:37 UTC 2016

On 26/08/16 17:38, Brett Smith wrote:
> On 08/26/2016 07:26 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> Given the new focus on reimbursement, I thought it would be helpful to
>> raise the subject of expense tracking apps.
>
> I think we’re on the same page, but just for extra clarity, this is a
> new short-term focus. Long-term, our goals for the project are
> unchanged. We just think this makes sense as a first step because it can
> benefit everyone sooner and can grow along with the rest of the project
> as we build out more pieces.
>
>> Looking in F-Droid, there are a few apps which do some of these things
>> already, e.g.
>>
>> https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=expense&fdid=wb.receiptspro
>
> This is a really helpful pointer, thank you. I’ll definitely want to
> look to see if there are ways we can make it easy to submit from apps
> like this.

Thinking about it some more, I feel that extending or creating an app
could be worthy of its own crowdfunding campaign.  If several of the
companies doing larger installs of things like xTuple, Tryton and
OpenERP were to commit sums over $1,000 then it could be quite
successful on its own and the existing funds could be retained for the
server-side work, other integration stuff and architecture planning.

> You asked about the scope of this work in another e-mail. For version 1,
> I think our top priority is the submission process. The goal of the
> system should be to reduce the amount of back-and-forth required for
> people to submit reimbursement requests that have all the necessary
> documentation. This saves time for both submitters and bookkeepers, and
> it’s relatively self-contained. Once that’s done, though, I agree it
> makes sense to look at some of the other areas you named, letting
> organizations track the request through other stages of the lifecycle.

Even if the whole workflow won't be implemented now, maybe it is useful
to document it on the wiki or something.  Doing that now makes it more
likely that any code created now will fit within the bigger picture later.

Regards,

Daniel