Details of COI assent, and federal/state wording (was Re: Conflict of Interest policy, 1 March 2012 draft)

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Fri Mar 2 10:43:07 EST 2012

Ian Lynagh wrote at 21:41 (EST) on Thursday:

> Do we send this in electronically, or physically?

My plan is to do this electronically, if we can swing it legally.
Electronic assent is generally fine within the USA, but outside the USA,
it's a bit more complicated.  I've asked Tony to research that part of
the question and see if it's possible.  I realize physical paper assent
for this would be a huge pain and I want to avoid it if at all possible.

Logistically, I haven't figured out how to do the electronic assent.  If
a volunteer around here wants to build a simple web form for us, that'd
be great (and I'd rather not use Google docs for my usual reasons ;).
Barring that, I'll probably pay a contractor to whip up a Django app for
us to do it (sfconservancy.org is already a Django site).  Having a
volunteer do it would save Conservancy money, so I hope a volunteer
steps forward. ;)

>> Each volunteer, academic and/or industry professional that serves on
>> a Conservancy Member Project's Project Leadership Committee (PLC)
>> have a duty to act in the best interests of his or her Project when
>> making decisions about the Project's technical direction. Every
>> committee member must also abide by state and federal laws associated
>> with non-profit

> Is "state" the state that SFC is registered in?

> "Federal" is USA, I assume.

Yes, sorry, "federal" means USA.  (I know some countries, well, at least
in Germany, "federal" means what "state-level" means in the USA).  I'll
check with Tony, but I think we can change that to say the specific name
of the state (New York) and to say "USA federal laws" to be clear.

Tony, any problem for us to make that change?

> Do you have to do another form if this changes during the year?

I think probably not; you'd just assent to the new version the following
year.  Tony, is that correct?
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy