Further discussion re: Proposal Drafting Procedures (was Re: Conflict of Interest policy, 1 March 2012 draft)

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Tue Mar 13 13:21:23 EDT 2012

Hi, all:
Bradley tells me that Twisted PLC member Glyph Lefkowitz (CC'ed) made a
suggestion about the conflict of interest policy to him offline.  I send
this note to document the suggestion and discuss it.

Glyph's suggestion relates to the section below (as modified from the
original draft, in response to a comment raised by Chris Leonard):

> * *Drafting the Software Development Proposal.* PLCs must draft a
>    written proposal for every software development project their Project
>    wishes to fund. During the drafting process, if a PLC Person (or his
>    or her family member), a PLC Person's employer and/or a fellow
>    employee of PLC Person's employer wish to be considered a candidate to
>    fulfill the funded software development contract, that PLC Person has
>    a conflict of interest and must recuse herself or himself from the
>    proposal drafting process, except to disclose material facts and to
>    respond to questions, and must abstain from any vote to approve that
>    proposal.  All other procedures as outlined in
>    <<Procedures-PLC-Persons,_Conflict Resolution Procedures for PLC Persons_>>
>    shall still apply. The PLC must document the PLC Person's abstention
>    from the proposal drafting process in the minutes of the next PLC
>    meeting.
for drafting software development proposals:
- Step 1:  PLC drafts and votes on a "letter of intent," which would
basically be a pre-proposal or abstract providing a high-level overview
of the work they want to see completed.  PLC members/third parties
interested in bidding on the resulting proposal would be completely
excluded from the letter of intent drafting or voting process.

- Step 2:  PLC submits the letter of intent to Conservancy for
acknowledgment and approval.

- Step 3:  Upon receipt of approval, PLC then expands the letter of
intent into a fully-realized, detailed proposal.  At this point,
prospective bidders *can* participate in the drafting process without
restriction.

Thanks for the proposed process, Glyph.  If I have misrepresented your
idea, feel free to edit.

Bradley and I have discussed it.  We appreciate the intent, but we think
it adds an unnecessary layer of work to the process.  As it currently
stands, prospective bidders can already participate in the drafting
process by disclosing material facts and answering questions.  We expect
that this will provide PLCs with sufficient access to a prospective
bidder's expertise when drafting a proposal without the need for
multiple iterations of PLC approvals.

The suggestion also allows bidders with unfettered access to the second
phase of the proposal drafting process.  The proposal's scope will have
already been defined at a high level by the "letter of intent," but a
self-interested developer could still tailor the proposal's details to
suit his/her skill set during the second drafting phase.  As such, it's
still cleaner and more defensible to allow prospective bidders to
participate from the very beginning - albeit in a limited manner - than
to create a two-phased proposal drafting process where the conflicted
persons are able to control the second phase.

Best,
-Tony

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
212.461.3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org