non-PLC members

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Thu Mar 29 10:45:29 EDT 2012

On 03/29/2012 10:32 AM, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:01:37AM -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
>> This Travel and Reimbursable Expense Policy (``Policy'') applies to all
>> Conservancy Member Projects (``Projects'') of Software Freedom Conservancy
>> (``Conservancy'') and has been created to memorialize Conservancy's
>> reimbursement policies relating to travel and other business expenses
>> incurred by Conservancy staff, Project Leadership Committee (``PLC'')
>> members, and project volunteers while engaged in business on behalf of, or
>> at the behest of Conservancy and/or a Project (``Travelers'').
> [...]
>
>> ==== Meals For Organizational Development
>>
>> Travelers may occasionally have the need to invite third parties,
>> e.g., prospective donors, contributors, community members, etc., to
>> meals in order to further a PLC's technical direction and/or Conservancy's
>> mission.  Conservancy recommends that travelers seek pre-approval from
>> their PLC and/or Conservancy for such meals.
> I would have thought that "contributors" at least, and perhaps
> "community members" too, would be covered under "project volunteers". I
> wouldn't expect such people to need any sort of approval that PLC
> members don't need.
>

> Thanks
> Ian
Thanks for your comments, Ian.

To clarify, this is intended to address situations where contributors
and/or community members are attending an event, but are not there on
behalf of or at the behest of a PLC and/or Conservancy (e.g., their
travel is paid for by their employer, they're paying their own expenses,
etc.).  As such, they're not "travelers" as defined by the Policy, so
we're defining them as "third parties" for the purposes of managing
travel expenses.

If it would help, we could tighten up the definition of "traveler" to
make it abundantly clear that the Policy only applies to people who have
been sent on a trip by a PLC and/or Conservancy, and not to other
volunteers who happen to be going to the same location in parallel.
Thoughts?

Best,
-Tony

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
212.461.3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org