transport costs

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Mar 29 10:49:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:01:37AM -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> == Air Travel

Is there a reason you're covering only air travel here? Why couldn't it
just be "Transportation"?

> === Overall Airfare Cost
>
> Domestic travel greater than US$750 requires Conservancy approval
> prior to booking, even if all other Policy conditions have been met.
> International travel greater than US$1,500 requires Conservancy
> approval prior to booking, even if all other Policy conditions have
> been met.

Would "Domestic" and "International" be better replaced with
"Intra-continental" and "Inter-continental"?

Also, I assume those rates are per-person, rather than per-meeting or
similar.

> === Class of Service
>
> Coach and/or Economy Airfare is the only acceptable class for all flights
> (domestic and international) unless a PLC provides a special exception and
> a valid reason (such as a need for business class due to a documented
> medical reason) to Conservancy for written approval.  Travelers may select
> their airline of choice (e.g., for the purpose of collecting airline miles
> and rewards), provided that the resulting air fare otherwise meets the
> requirements of this Policy. Travelers should not book out-of-Policy trips
> (and thus pay a higher fare) in order to qualify for a mileage upgrade.
>
> === Advance Purchase
>
> Travel should be booked at least 14 days in advance; any travel booked
> less than 14 days in advance requires written pre-authorization by
> Conservancy.

Presumably Conservancy and the project may, at their combined
discretion, reimburse flights booked at the last minute without
authorization due to some sort of unexpected event? (no need to change
the text, I'm just wondering).

> === Low Fare
>
> Conservancy aims to balance cost savings with convenience and considers
> flights that are within US$100 of the lowest logical fare to be within
> Policy.  Any flights greater than US$100 over the lowest logical fare
> require written pre-authorization by Conservancy. PLCs shall use FIXME
> as the comparison shopping site for determining the baseline lowest fare.

You say:
    "Travelers are permitted to pay for their own upgrades"
lower down, but I think it would be good to clarify at this point that:
    Travelers may take more expensive flights, or alternative forms of
    transport, but Conservancy will reimburse only the lowest reasonable
    flight cost or the actual cost incurred, whichever is lower.

Thanks
Ian