proposal for the travel policy - no receipts for <= $500

Karen Sandler karen at sfconservancy.org
Wed Jul 20 01:57:50 UTC 2016

As many of you know, the travel policy has caused a tremendous amount of
work
for Conservancy, where we have to track all of the appropriate records
demonstrate that the policy was followed.  Our policy is designed to
make
sure that no funds are inappropriately used or wasted to ensure maximum
benefit to our charitable mission, while allowing as much flexibility as
we
can to travelers (for example, travelers can pick their own airlines and
times provided that they save a search showing that the fare is
reasonable).

Over the number of years, we've found that this doesn't always work out
well.
Many travelers, particularly those new to the policy or who only travel
once
on behalf of the project,  don't read the rules and leave Conservancy
without
adequate documentation.  Further, the goal of keeping the spending to
reasonable amounts gets lost for smaller trips. We also find that we're
spending more and more staff time scrutinizing smaller travel. After a
lot
of thought, we've decided the documentation we currently require for
smaller
reimbursement amounts may not be necessary for what we want to
accomplish.
We still think that the policy as it stands does a good job when the
expenses are higher.

We'd like to propose a blanket exception on receipts for anything $500
or
less, so long as we get attestations by both the PLC and the traveler
that
they have indeed followed the policy. The rules would still apply, and
we'd
still require a report on what was accomplished during the event. PLCs,
if
they'd like more documentation before they provide their attestation,
can
require receipts if they want, but they'd be responsible for evaluating
and
organizing them.  I think this is a sensible limit for all of our
projects.

Of course this is subject to our board as well as our outside auditor's
approval.

The relevant excerpt is below and you can review it in context at

https://k.sfconservancy.org/policies/pull-request/4/_/five-hundred-dollar-receipt-limit

karen

-------------

For any travel reimbursement requests that are $500 or less for all
expenses related to a single trip, no receipts or fare search are
required
to be provided with the reimbursement report, provided that:

* the traveler attests that all expenses are bonafide and within the
travel policy requirements, includes their aforementioned trip
report and indicates the dates of travel, and

* the PLC attests that to the best of its knowledge, the expenses
were appropriately incurred and within the travel policy, that
the travel did in fact occur.

PLCs may at their discretion impose any additional documentation
required
for PLC approval.

Karen M. Sandler
Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy