travel policy: visa fees have always been permitted; the policy differed only by accident.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 8 01:31:09 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 17:39 -0700, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Eventually we have various updates that will require a more formal process
> regarding the travel policy and we'll summarize those here before they are
> made and make sure adequate discussion has occurred.
>
> However, this attached change was made without discussion because we
> realized that the text of the policy differed from our standard practice
> regarding visa fees.  The attach patch, already applied, simply formalizes
> the policy we already had in place.
>
> https://k.sfconservancy.org/policies/changeset/676ecf976cff8bf611cc045e6f351ce36f1009bb
> https://github.com/conservancy/policies/commit/676ecf976cff8bf611cc045e6f351ce36f1009bb

While clear in intent, you might have missed that some countries
outsource their front-office visa processing, so there are even more
fees that are not to an embassy or 'government agency', but to a
private company!

e.g. for Australia you must use TTSERVICES
http://newzealand.embassy.gov.au/wltn/Visas_and_Immigration.html
https://www.ttsaustralia.com/Home/AvacVisaFeeDetails?Country=newzealand&Documents=newzealandAvacFeeDetails

Andrew Bartlett
--