Business/First class airfare tickets policy.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 14 18:09:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-02-14 at 09:45 -0800, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> > If there are other arguments, I'd like to hear them but my initial
> > impression is like Bdale's -- I'm not sure I see the problem.
>
> Well, your and Bdale's argument is for a change in policy the other
> way -- to
> just let people book whatever they want as long as it goes between
> the
> correct two airports, and let them max out the budget.

I'm really glad I don't have to travel on conservancy funds, thanks to
my employer, because all I want to do is:

 - Fly from New Zealand anywhere
 - Stay in the same hotel as everyone else
 - Eat cheap meals
 - Not be out of pocket at the end of the day.

I don't spend company, nor Samba Team (in my case) funds in a way I
wouldn't spend my own.  There must be a lot of folks doing the opposite
for this to even be an issue.

I really with the travel rules were simpler, not more difficult.  When
I last travelled under this policy, I had to get exceptions for every
flight and I recall the hotel was also a problem.  (GSA rates not
covering things because we are not the Government).

The single most valuable commodity in my view is not money, but time.

We should ensure we also optimise for time of both the conservancy and
project volunteers, not just cash.

Andrew Bartlett