Business/First class airfare tickets policy.

Michael Downey downey at librehealth.io
Thu Feb 14 18:17:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019, at 10:09, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I really with the travel rules were simpler, not more difficult.  When
> I last travelled under this policy, I had to get exceptions for every
> flight and I recall the hotel was also a problem.  (GSA rates not
> covering things because we are not the Government).

I agree that whatever can be done to simplify the travel policy, the better. I do not plan to make much use of it myself, but can understand that it appears quite complex, particularly (and unintentionally, I presume) because of the attempt to be more flexible with the many tiers of budget increases.

Ideally, we shouldn't have to run our travel plans through an algorithm to make sure we're spending money in as cost-effective way as possible.

In other words, my dream would be:

If the requested flight reimbursement (not the full receipt amount which may include other non-reimbursable "extras") is within (Lowest "regular" economy fare) + ($x or x%), it's approved. Any request for reimbursement beyond that amount, e.g. for extra baggage, upgrades for super long flights or medical reasons, etc., would be handled as exceptions.

Regarding hotels, as someone that works for an intergovernmental organization affiliate, I would point out that using GSA rates at most hotels require (at least on paper) proof of that governmental affiliation to get the rate. Sometimes GSA rates are cheaper, but not always. When they are cheaper, it seems there should also be a ready "exception" similar to flights, e.g., lowest hotel search + $x.

My two cents,

--
Michael Downey
LibreHealth Steering Committee