Problems installing Kallithea on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Angel Ezquerra angel.ezquerra at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:40:40 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/2016 04:52 PM, Angel Ezquerra wrote:
>>
>>        File
>> "c:\kallithea\env\lib\site-packages\setuptools\command\easy_install.p
>> y", line 1069, in run_setup
>>          raise DistutilsError("Setup script exited with %s" %
>> (v.args[0],))
>>      distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Setup script exited with error:
>> Setup scrip
>> t exited with error: Setup script exited with error: Setup script exited
>> with er
>> ror: SandboxViolation:
>> open('build\\bdist.win32\\egg\\paste\\evalexception\\medi
>> a\\MochiKit.packed.js', 'wb') {}
>>
>>      The package setup script has attempted to modify files on your system
>>      that are not within the EasyInstall build area, and has been aborted.
>>
>>      This package cannot be safely installed by EasyInstall, and may not
>>      support alternate installation locations even if you run its setup
>>      script by hand.  Please inform the package's author and the
>> EasyInstall
>>      maintainers to find out if a fix or workaround is available.
>

> Sounds like
> https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issues/183/cant-install-on-windows
> and
> https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issues/187/installation-on-windows-fails
>
>> - The server has the 32-bit version of Python 2.7.11 installed
>> (whereas my laptop has the x64 version).
>

> That is a problem - but I don't know if it is related to the first one.
>
> 2.7.11 broke one of our dependencies. The stable branch has a fix ... but we
> haven't made a pypi release with it yet.
>
> Try with 2.7.10 or use
> http://docs.kallithea-scm.org/en/latest/installation.html#installation-from-repository-source
>
> /Mads

Thank you Mads!

Following the advice given on those two links fixed the problem. That
is, I had to run:

    pip install Paste==2.0.2
    pip install pastedeploy==1.5.2
    pip install pastescript==2.0.2

Once I did that I had a couple more problems:

1. "pip install kallithea" still failed because both dulwich and
mercurial failed to generate wheels. It seems that for some reason my
virtualenv did not have a "libs" folder. I simply copied the
C:\Python27\libs folder to my virtualenv (C:\Kallithea\Env\libs) and
called "pip install kallithea" again, which worked fine.

2. I was able to configure and run Kallithea, but I would get errors
when accessing the Admin page. The error was a syntax error on
site-packages/kombu/utils/__init__.py. I had to change:

    from uuid import UUID, uuid4 as _uuid4, _uuid_generate_random

into:

    from uuid import UUID as _uuid4
    from uuid import uuid4 as _uuid_generate_random

This is the same error that we had already discussed off the list
which seems to be related to change in Python 2.7.11 I believe.

Now I just need to figure out how to run Kallithea as a service or
through our existing Apache web server. Pointers welcome :-)

Cheers,

Angel