The future of this project

Andrew Shadura andrew at shadura.me
Mon Jun 12 20:21:51 UTC 2017

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for this mail. This is something I've been thinking about too.

On 12/06/17 17:41, Dominik Ruf wrote:
> this mail is overdue, but I always hoped it would get better. :-/
> I know this is a community project and we all have other
> responsibilities. So I understand that a request does not get answered
> instantly.
> But for example my pull requests about 'repository settings' is now
> literally waiting for YEARS.
> Or lately my 'Port Kallithea theme to Bootstrap' pull request. I asked
> multiple times for some feedback, but since 2 MONTH I got nothing. I
> understand that reviewing takes time, but at least some kind of comment
> is not too much to ask. And some pull request like 'catch MemoryErrors
> when calling git diff' are really trivial.

Yes, I agree. There's too much bikeshedding and too little real work
done. We need to do something about it.

Debian is now looking for a replacement for Alioth, which currently runs
FusionForge. The replacement has to support SSH, which — with us not
having merged the SSH support — immediately makes us worse than the
alternatives, even though we have a benefit of also supporting Mercurial
and having nice review tools. It's a shame, as being used by Debian
could bring new contributors and breath new life into the project.

> This can not continue in this way. This project is now almost 3 years
> old and we have very little to show for ourselves. In fact there were
> questions if this project is actually alive (can't find the link right
> now). And I can't blame anybody to think so. Kallithea has improved very
> little. Version 0.3 is 20 month ago.

> So my questions to you guys is this:
> What are your future plans for this project?
> Are there any chances that this project will start moving more quickly?
> If not, I believe it has no real future. :-(
> Which would be a shame. I have quite a few ideas for it and think it
> really has potential.

I think the first step should be to give power in the project to people
who need it. As you currently have the most time and motivation to work
on the project, I feel you should try to take it over, at least
temporarily, until we, the rest, find more time for it.

I think that even if you break things in short term, moving forward and
breaking things is better than staying stable without any development.

Mads, Thomas, what do you think?

--
Cheers,
  Andrew